How To Wash A Pillow?
Jul 19, 2023
Pillows should be cleaned regularly to ensure that they remain fresh, soft and clean. You can clean all types of pillows by following these simple steps:
How To Wash A Pillow?
To wash a pillow, follow these steps:
- Remove the pillowcase.
- Use cool water and a mild detergent, such as Ivory soap or Woolite, in your washing machine's gentle cycle.
- Ensure the spin cycle is not overly aggressive to prevent pillow movement.
- Tumble dry on low heat for approximately 20 minutes.
- Air-dry for an additional 20 minutes to avoid wrinkles and ensure thorough drying.
Down or Feather Pillows
If you have a down or feather pillow, follow the same instructions as for synthetic pillows. However, you may want to use a bit more detergent than usual because these pillows tend to be dirtier than synthetic ones.
Down and feather pillows often come with an attached cover that can be removed prior to washing (check your manufacturer's instructions).
If there is no removable cover, simply remove the pillow itself from its case and follow these steps:
Wash in cold water on gentle cycle with mild detergent (no bleach). Add 1 cup of vinegar during final rinse cycle.
Tumble dry on low heat
Memory Foam, Latex or Gel Pillows
If you have a memory foam or gel pillow, follow these instructions:
- Use a pillow case to protect the pillow from getting damaged during washing and drying.
Wash in cold water using your washing machine's delicate cycle.
Remove the case when you are ready to dry your new clean pillows!
Do not use bleach on these types of pillows because it will damage them and make them less effective at providing support for your head while sleeping.
Synthetic Fiber or Down Alternative Pillows
If you have a synthetic fiber or down alternative pillow, it's best to wash the cover separately from your pillow. This will help keep your pillow clean and prevent damage to its filling.
You can wash a pillow cover in the washing machine on a gentle cycle with cold water. Do not use bleach or fabric softener as they may be harmful to your health (because they contain chemicals), cause irritation on your skin, and clog up your pores over time which makes acne worse!
After washing: Let air dry flat in shade away from direct sunlight; Do not tumble dry; Do not iron directly onto printed side of cover.
Polyester pillows are easy to wash. In fact, they can be washed in a machine and they won't require any special care. A polyester pillow can be washed with other clothes, materials and items that you have in your laundry pile.
Just follow these simple steps:
- Place the pillow inside of its case or cover (if it has one) before placing both into the washing machine drum or basin;
- Fill up with warm water;
- Add detergent according to manufacturer instructions;
- Set for gentle cycle if possible (this will help prevent damage);
- When finished, empty out excess water from drum/basin then add more clean warm water until full again.
Pillow Care TIPS
- Wash your pillow at least once a year.
- Make sure you have the right size pillow for your bed, and that it's not too small or large for you.
- Avoid using pillow protectors as they trap dust mites and allergens, which can make allergies worse. If you are concerned about staining, however if a waterproof protector is used on top of the pillowcase it will help prevent damage from perspiration or drool (even though these are unlikely to cause any long-term harm).
We hope you found our guide to washing pillows helpful! If you have any questions or concerns, please leave us a comment below.