How to Put on a Duvet Cover
Jun 24, 2023
The first time I put on a duvet cover, I thought it was the most difficult thing in the world. It's not! With practice, putting on a duvet cover can become as easy as pouring a glass of milk or folding laundry—and you'll get to experience the joys of sleeping under your new cover every night
What is a Duvet Cover?
A duvet cover is a protective covering for your comforter or down blanket. It’s usually made of cotton or polyester, and it helps to protect your comforter from dust and dirt as well as stains.
How to Put on a Duvet Cover?
- Step 1: Pull the duvet cover over your duvet and center it on the bed.
- Step 2: Make sure you have the duvet cover on correctly. Look at the pattern of your duvet cover, if there is one, to make sure that it's facing outwards and not upside down.
- Step 3: Once satisfied with how smoothly everything looks and feels, enjoy using this beautiful new piece of bedding!
The Traditional Method
o begin, fold your duvet cover in half lengthwise. Then place the duvet inside the duvet cover, with the opening at the top. Roll the duvet cover down over the duvet and tuck in any excess material when you reach an even edge.
Step 1: Take the duvet out of its cover. If you bought a duvet cover with buttons, remove those first and put them aside for now.
Unfold your duvet and lay it on your bed like a taco shell, with the open end pointing at your feet and the tight end pointing toward your head.
- Step 2: If you're using a duvet cover, it's important that the size is right. If it's too small, it will be hard to fit over your duvet. If you have a larger-than-average duvet, then make sure to buy one that fits snugly so that the fabric doesn't slide off when you pull on the duvet cover.
Step 3: Tuck the duvet in at the corners of your bed.
Make sure that you've tucked in the entire duvet so that it's inside of its cover. If there are any loose threads or strings on either side of the opening, fix them before moving on to step 4.
Step 4: The trick to putting on a duvet cover is to put the duvet into place first, then pull the duvet cover over it. It's easier than trying to tug at a duvet cover while you're trying to shove it under your mattress (and even if you do manage that, it won't look very neat).
Duvets often come with matching pillowcases that match well with any decorating style so they can be paired with other accessories such as pillows and throws for an overall cohesive look throughout the room.
The California Roll Method
The California Roll is the easiest way to put on a duvet cover. To do this, start by laying out your duvet with the top side down. Next, place the duvet cover over it so that one corner of the bottom-left corner of the duvet is exposed. Then, lift up that corner of your duvet and tuck it into itself until you reach where the opposite corner of your duvet cover is (in this case, its bottom-right corner). Repeat this process for all four corners until both sides are tucked in under themselves.
Step 1: Make sure the duvet is completely dry before you begin.
Lay it flat on your bed, with one corner of the duvet facing toward you and all four corners visible.
Grab that same corner and flip it over so that it's facing away from you now (as if to hide something), then fold in half vertically so that this folded end is parallel to one edge of your mattress (or at least close enough).
- Step 2: Now that you've spread the duvet cover out on the bed, it's time to make sure it's spread evenly and not bunched up in any spots. Make sure that both sides of the duvet cover are flat and even, with no puckers or wrinkles. The center of your duvet cover should be centered on your bed, with no wrinkles or bunches around it.
Step 3: Tuck the sides of the duvet cover in between the mattress and box spring.
Make sure there are no rips, tears or holes in your duvet cover.
Step 4: The final step is to put your duvet cover on your bed.
That’s it! You now have a perfectly dressed bed with no wrinkles and no hassles.
Congratulations on completing this project!
The Nova Method
The Nova Method is a way to put on a duvet cover that will maintain the integrity of your bedding, even if you have to remove it for washing. The Nova Method takes some time and patience, but it’s worth it if you want to maintain the longevity of your duvet cover.
Step 1: Unzip the duvet cover and lay it on top of your duvet, inside out.
Lift up the corners of your duvet, then fold them into a rectangle shape so that they fit inside the duvet cover—this is much easier if you have two people doing this step together! Try not to stretch out or tear any part of the fabric while you're doing this; just pull straight up at one corner and make an imaginary line from there all around until all four corners are in place inside of each other's folds.
Once all four corners have been securely tucked away within each other's folds (so that it looks like one big square), flip over one side of your bedding so that now both sides are facing outward instead of inward (i.e., now both sides are outside).
- Step 2: Take the duvet cover and place it over the duvet. Make sure that you are looking at it correctly, so that when you fold up the bottom of the duvet cover, it will be even with or slightly shorter than your comforter or quilt.
- Step 3: Roll up the duvet, making sure it is tight and secure. Tie a knot at the end of the duvet to keep it rolled. Place your safety pin at one end of your duvet cover, then place that side against your mattress. Slowly roll up your safety pin on top of itself until you have covered all parts of your mattress in soft white linen!
- Step 4: Tuck in the duvet cover at the bottom of the mattress, then make sure that it is secure. Now you are ready to place your comforter on top!*
The Burrito Method
The burrito method is the fastest and easiest way to put on a duvet cover. By folding it like a burrito, you don't have to wrestle the duvet inside out. Instead, you can simply lay it flat and then wrap it around the corners of your new duvet cover.
Step 1: Unzip the duvet cover and lay it flat on your bed, wrong side out.
Fold the top corner of your duvet cover down to meet its bottom corner.
Fold the bottom corner of your duvet cover up to meet its top corner, creating a triangle shape in between them at each end (where you just folded).
Step 2: Tuck the duvet in.
Now that you've got the duvet cover on, you'll have to tuck it in before rolling it down. This part can be tricky, but it is essential if you want an even look when rolled down (and not a wrinkled mess).
Step 3: Spread out the duvet cover over your mattress, making sure to tuck it in at the corners. Then fold down the bottom of the cover so that it’s flush with or slightly above (but not below) your mattress edge.
Make sure your bed looks as good on top as it does underneath!
Step 4: Tuck in the sides of the duvet cover (if it has them).
Roll up the duvet cover until it's just short of being completely rolled up, and then tuck it under itself on the bottom end of your duvet.
Place your new duvet cover over your old one, and enjoy!
The most important thing to remember when you’re putting on a duvet cover is that you want it to look good. When in doubt, try the California Roll method and see if it works for you!